Working Papers

Employment of Minors in the State of New Hampshire

Anyone under the age of 16 must acquire working papers (employment certificate) no later than the first 3 days of employment however the school district recommends getting them prior to beginning work. You can only obtain working papers AFTER a job has been secured. You must obtain new working papers for each job obtained up until age 16.

  • The employer should provide the student with an "Employer's Request for Child Labor form". This form should be filled out by the employer, signed, provide federal ID and contain a detailed description of the work being done by this student.
  • The student and parent/guardian must take this completed form, latest report card and proof of age (birth certificate, passport, baptismal certificate, immigration record or a religious or official record bearing minor's age) to one of the following locations:

Alvirne Main Office, 200 Derry Road, Hudson; located next to the Rodgers Memorial Library.

Office hours are 7:00-3:30 during the school year and 8:00-2:00 during the summer.

Please fee free to call with any questions 886-1260 x.0.

Superintendent of Schools Office, 20 Library Street, Hudson; located across from the Central Street Fire Station.

Office hours for working papers 8:00-2:00.

Minors ages 16 and 17 do NOT need working papers but do need a document signed by a parent or legal guardian giving permission for them to work. This must be done for each job obtained until the age of 18. This is not needed only IF the youth has graduated from High School or obtained a GED.

*The state of NH does not provide working papers for any state outside of New Hampshire.

*If you live in NH and will be working in MA, see below the bottom of the page for further assistance.

The State of NH Child Labor Guide will provide you with information regarding the amount of hours a minor is allowed to work, jobs that they are not permitted to do, etc.

Are you going to be working in another state? You will have to obtain working papers in the state you will be working in.

If you are going to be working in Massachusetts, you can obtain your working papers at:

Tyngsboro High School, 36 Norris Road, Tyngsboro MA.

It would be in your best interest to call ahead, (978) 649-7571, for the office hours and to find out what papers you will need in Massachusetts.

**Students of Alvirne can see the School Counseling office for a Student in Good Standing form, if it is required in the state you will be working in.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2021 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.